Choice #1: Find programs that are using a lot of resources
1. Open up task manager and go to processes tab
2. Click the "CPU," "Disk," and "Memory" headers to sort the applications that use the most resources
3. Click "end task" to force those programs to close.
Choice #2: Disable start-up programs
1. Open task manager and go to the startup tab
2. Disable start-up programs that you don't need
Choice #3: Reduce animations
1. Press the windows and "x" keys and select systems
2. Click advanced system settings
3. Click settings and choose the "Adjust for best performance" option under visual effects
*If preferred, you may instead select custom settings to choose which animations you want to keep.
Choice #4: Get rid of unnecessary browser extensions
*Process is dependent on browser
Choice #5: Check for viruses
1. Open your antivirus software and run a scan
2. If there are any threats, get isolate and remove them from your computer.
Choice #6: Uninstall old computer programs
You know that computer program that you thought you deleted? It may still have roots in your computer. Follow these steps to completely remove the program:
1. Type "Remove" into the start menu and select "Add or remove programs"
2. Search for old programs that you don't need.
3. Select the programs you'd like to delete and click uninstall
Choice #7: Clear Cache
*Dependent upon web browser
While there are many possibilities as to why your computer may be running slow, these are some simple options to speed up your computer.