Turnitin is a tool (like Unicheck) that you can use to help identify and discourage plagiarism within your course assignments. This web-based service allows students and faculty to analyze written work and checks for citation mistakes, inappropriate use of text from other resources, and accidental or purposeful plagiarism.
To turn on Turnitin for an Assignment in Canvas, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to and select the Edit button on the Assignment page.
- Under Submission Type, select Online from the dropdown menu.
- Select File Uploads in the Online Entry Options.
- Once File Uploads is selected the Plagiarism Review section will appear.
- In the dropdown box under Plagiarism Review, select Turnitin.
- You may exclude Bibliography or Quotes in the report by selecting the appropriate checkboxes.
- You will have an option to how students can or cannot see the Turnitin Report.
After a student submits their assignment with a file, Turnitin will automatically generate a similarity report for you and your student depending on the options selected. This report can be found in the Speedegrader section for the assignment. When in the grade book, any submissions that included a scan by Turnitin will be depicted by a color block in the assignment cell of the grade book. Entering the Speedergrader for that submission will supply a Turnitin report link near the grade area. Selecting this link will navigate you to the Turnitin Similarity Report of that submission.