Batch Enrolling Users
Only users with valid UF user names and passwords and who can access Blackboard can participate in Blackboard organizations.
Unlike a Blackboard course whose roster is tied to the University’s official course roster in the Student Information System (SIS) and is automatically updated several times each day, there is no University SIS roster for Blackboard organizations. Because of this, the organization leader will be responsible for manually enrolling and unenrolling Blackboard organization participants within Blackboard.
Please note that Blackboard automatically prevents you from accidentally enrolling a user into the same organization twice. To see a list of users already enrolled in your organization:
On your organization’s Control Panel, under Users and Groups, click Users.
To add batches of users to your Blackboard organization roster:
- Create a batch file in Microsoft Excel (or any other spreadsheet program or text editor)
- Manually upload the batch file to Blackboard.
Both steps are explained in-depth below.
Step 1: Create a Batch File
A “batch file” is a text file that contains a series of commands to be executed — in this case, a list of users that you want to enroll into your Blackboard organization. To create a Blackboard enrollment batch file in Microsoft Excel:
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Go to File > Save As
- If you have a PC, in the Save as Type pull-down list, choose “CSV (comma delimited)”. If you have a Mac, in the Format pull-down list choose “Comma Separated Values (.csv)”
- In Excel, manually key in the following information in these six specific columns:
- In column A, type the user’s Blackboard username. This information is required.
- In column B, type the user’s last name (tip: Blackboard will ignore this information, but this cell cannot be empty or blank. In other words, type whatever you want in this cell — e.g., nnn, xxx).
- In column C, type the user’s first name (tip: Blackboard will also ignore this information, but this cell cannot be empty or blank. In other words, type whatever you want in this cell — e.g., nnn, xxx).
- Leave column D blank.
- In column E, type whatever you want (tip: Blackboard will also ignore this information, but this cell cannot be empty or blank. In other words, type whatever you want in this cell — nnn, xxx).
- In column F, type the letter S. This information is required, and the letter S can be in either upper or lower case.
- Save your Excel file again (preferably in a location where it can easily be located.
Some tips when creating a Backboard enrollment batch file:
- Make sure that all of the Blackboard usernames (in column A of your batch file) are correctly spelled. If you have ten users in your batch file and the third user’s Blackboard username is incorrect, only the first two users will be added to the organization. Blackboard will not enroll the remaining users until you correct the error.
- Do not include blank rows.
- Blackboard recommends that each batch file not exceed 500 rows because of timeout restrictions associated with most browsers.
Step 2: Manually Upload the Batch File
- On your organization’s Control Panel, click Users and Groups.
- Click Users.
- In the top right corner of he Users page, click Batch Enroll Users.
- Click Browse to locate your Excel batch file on your computer.
- Leave the delimiter to “Automatic.”
- Click Submit.